Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Cats & Dogs


Let's learn vocabulary of dogs (perros) and cats (gatos). These are two of the most popular pets worldwide. If you don't own one -or more-, you probably know someone who does.

First, let's learn some other words to call these animals. Dogs are called canes and chuchos (the latter much more colloquial). Cats are called mininos and michos. Now, let's continue with other useful words.

  • cat/dog food – la comida del gato/perro
  • cat/dog bowl – el tazón (o el plato) del gato/perro
  • collar – el collar
  • leash – la correa
  • litter pan/box/tray - el arenero del gato
  • kitty litter - la arena (de gato)
  • flea medicine – la medicina para prevenir las pulgas
  • heart worm medicine – la medicina para dirofilariosis canina (gusanos o parásitos del corazón)
  • rabies – rabia
  • vet – el veterinario
  • pet shop – la tienda de animales

  • to feed the dog – alimentar al perro
  • to brush the dog – cepillar al perro
  • to wash the dog – bañar al perro
  • to walk the dog – sacar a caminar al perro
  • to train the dog – entrenar, adiestrar al perro
  • to castrate - castrar
  • ---> The male cat is fixed or neutered. (El gato está operado)
    ---> The female cat is spayed or neutered. (La gata está operada)

  • spots – las manchas
  • paws – las patas
  • snout – el hocico
  • whiskers – los bigotes
  • tail – la cola
  • legs – patas
  • fur or hair – pelaje
  • drool – las babas

  • Don't dig. – No escarbes.
  • Don't pet the dog. – No toques (acaricies/cariñes/consientas) al perro.
  • Don't beg. – No mendigues/supliques.
  • He is well trained. – Está bien educado.


Sayings


Cuando el gato duerme, los ratones hacen fiesta (o se divierten).
When (or while) the cat's away, the mice will play.

De noche todos los gatos son pardos.
At night all cats are gray.

Gato escaldado del agua fría huye.
Once bitten (or burned), twice shy.

La curiosidad mató al gato.
Curiosity killed the cat.

Muerto el perro, se acabo la rabia.
Literally, Once the dog is dead, rabies are over.

Perro que ladra no muerde
The dog that barks doesn't bite. / His bark is worse than his bite

Si quieres el perro, acepta las pulgas.
Love me, love my faults

Idioms

Aquí hay gato encerrado
There's something fishy going on. / It smells rat.

Buscarle tres pies al gato
To complicate things unnecessarily.

Como perro en barrio ajeno
Like a fish out of water.

Dar gato por liebre

To trick somebody.


Llevarse como el perro y el gato

To fight like cat and dog.


Tiempo de perros

Awful weather.



Someone told me...

A dog thinks, "Hey, those people I live with feed me, love me, provide me with a nice, warm, dry house, pet me and take good care of me.... They must be gods!"

A cat thinks, "Hey, those people I live with feed me, love me, provide me with a nice, warm, dry house, pet me and take good care of me.... I must be a god!"



For more pet-related vocabulary, check these other posts:
Training your dog | Animals Sounds

Updated Article. March 8th. 2007
Thanks Adriana for you ideas!

No comments: