Friday, January 19, 2007

Quietly


Cómo se dice: "Quietly" en español?

I teach French & know French better. I also teach Spanish and would like to tell my students: Quietly. For example: Work quietly or Discuss quietly.

In French it is "Doucement". To tell someone to speak quietly or calmly.

What is the Spanish equivalent?

I don't want to say: Silencio. That means "NO talking". I just want to say: Quietly.

- Gabrielle




Tienes razón, Gabrielle. En español lo traduciríamos como "Trabajen en silencio". Pero también está la alternativa de decir "silenciosamente", que NO implica silencio absoluto, pero sí que se hará el menor ruido posible, ordenada y calmadamente.

Sin embargo, si no quieres decir "silencio", otra alternativa podría ser: "en voz baja". e.g. "Discutan en voz baja"

Dependiendo del contexto, también podrías decir "tranquilamente", "dulcemente", "calmadamente".

Saludos,

- Karin

No comments: